Trini?s Old Holden Shed !!

joe122

Nice job on the molds! You have some major skills, enjoy watching your build's progress!

I have just measured and the tires are quite a bit bigger than tourning car diameter, they measure about 2.75 inch. And I measured the M chassis wheels, they are more like 1.6 inch, so they scale at 15 inch wheels. You might find difficult to find M chassis wheels that would match the style you need on this type of car though.

6dmIjr2h.jpg

CUtaHZkh.jpg

The other nice options are those wheels with a fake sidewall you talked about. You can either put normal tires on them (flatter sidewall and not too wide, otherwise the tire buldge will not look right with the fake sidewall). There are two different types, you should use the ones with the smaller fake sidewall, not the drift ones with the wide plastic band, these are for a streched look tire (the sidewall is much angled and looks weird).

Also if you choose the right wheels type like these:

tLt3xhPh.jpg

gZhi5yKh.jpg

The HPI vintage tires actually fit over the fake sidewall step, and it looks 100% legit sidewall just like the factory HPI wheels (on the right above). If you put regular tires on them they can also look quite good depending on the tire (left).

EDIT: took a few more measurements and made the calculation what 1:1 size they represent if your bodies are 1:10, but I don't know what tires dimension the 1:1 had:

Order from left to right in below pic:

235/75/17 1.55 dirt grabber on 1.55 steelies
245/50/16 hpi vintage tires on hpi vintage wheels or on the gold wheels
235/65/15 Tamiya racing truck tires on tamiya M chassis wheels
225/45/15 tamiya 60mm tires on tamiya M chassis wheels

oEDvnSPh.jpg

I think the rear racing truck wheels are concave enough you could put an insert in them or modify them to look like you want. Most of the other M chassis diameter wheels look more like FWD cars...

245/60/17 Tamiya racing truck tires on 1.55 landies (center in below pics)

2khSEJNh.jpg

EfWSfzWh.jpg

Wow Fred ! I’m always impressed with your knowledge and fascination with wheels and tires, and getting the combinations to look scale!
Thanks for the pics and examples with measurements! I have decided to go with the gold colored wheels and the vintage tires. I’m thinking of modding the wheels to add an insert that will look somewhat like the GTS wheels...the existing center on the gold wheel has enough ‘meat’ that I can trim away without seriously affecting the hex and it’s supports .... I think! Lol... the only drawback with these is that they only come in 26mm ... so I won’t have the option of using the wider 35mm (?) tires for the rears. So for that option I will use the HPI mini lites that are staggered 26/35 mm. Lol... not sure if I explained that correctly! Lol... unless I get crazy and start cutting the wheels in half and add in a center ring to widen them !

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job on the molds! You have some major skills, enjoy watching your build's progress!

Hey thanks joe122 !!

Frederik

Supporting Member
Wow Fred ! I’m always impressed with knowledge and fascination with wheels and tires, and getting the combinations to look scale!
Thanks for the pics and examples with measurements! I have decided to go with the gold colored wheels and the vintage tires. I’m thinking of modding the wheels to add an insert that will look somewhat like the GTS wheels...the existing center on the gold wheel has enough ‘meat’ that I can trim away without seriously affecting the hex and it’s supports .... I think! Lol... the only drawback with these is that they only come in 26mm ... so I won’t have the option of using the wider 35mm (?) tires for the rears. So for that option I will use the HPI mini lites that are staggered 26/35 mm. Lol... not sure if I explained that correctly! Lol... unless I get crazy and start cutting the wheels in half and add in a center ring to widen them !

- - - Updated - - -

Hey thanks joe122 !!

I think I went a big crazy with the tires and wheels pictures, sorry I did not want to veer off your thread! I think the gold wheels with the hpi vintage will look perfect. Regarding the inserts, maybe once you remove material from the front, you could go more aggressive on material removal and leave enough so it still holds itself, and then block the front and pour resin from the back to reinforce them? I'm very confident in your skills to widen them too if that's what you really want to do :) But I think widening them from the front face would look nicer and give more the look of wide wheels. Not sure how you would go about doing that though!

I think I went a big crazy with the tires and wheels pictures, sorry I did not want to veer off your thread! I think the gold wheels with the hpi vintage will look perfect. Regarding the inserts, maybe once you remove material from the front, you could go more aggressive on material removal and leave enough so it still holds itself, and then block the front and pour resin from the back to reinforce them? I'm very confident in your skills to widen them too if that's what you really want to do :) But I think widening them from the front face would look nicer and give more the look of wide wheels. Not sure how you would go about doing that though!

Lol...no worries Fred ! I’m always glad for your input and pics! It helps a lot!
In my previous post I meant to say I’m impressed with YOUR knowledge and fascination with wheels and tires lol ! Bit of a typo...corrected now!
Will definitely need the wide rears for the coupe, but when I get to that point I’ll decide which way to go... I will probably have to order a couple sets to play with...good thing it’s not too costly...lol!

Frederik

Supporting Member
Lol...no worries Fred ! I’m always glad for your input and pics! It helps a lot!
In my previous post I meant to say I’m impressed with YOUR knowledge and fascination with wheels and tires lol ! Bit of a typo...corrected now!
Will definitely need the wide rears for the coupe, but when I get to that point I’ll decide which way to go... I will probably have to order a couple sets to play with...good thing it’s not too costly...lol!

Hey Preston! I did not take anything you said in a bad way, no worries buddy! Sooo have you done more progress on your parts recently? :) Tell us what you are silently preparing :drooler:

Tappet Head

Nice work on the holdens, I have my LE still, my first car, been wanting to build a 1.10 drag car version of it, as I would love to have a hotted up version of it in some form!

Frederik

Supporting Member
Hey there Preston :) Did you play with the Holdens simce these last updates? Would love to see some updates on what you?ve been up to!

Fred

2Beers

It's me again.
X 2 ^^^^^^^^
Where in the world is Trini2 from down under ??????
Lost in NY I imagine.
Would love to see an update on the assembly line.