TRX 4 - Ride height and suspension set up

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
Hi everyone
I’m slowly getting to the end of a build and I think the truck is sat a little too high. I’ve replaced the damper mounts with my own 3d printed versions using the same datum points of the original mounts. Now what options do I have to lower the ride height without a major performance difference. I know there is always a compromise but what would my options be.
:huh:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
You could try running shorter shocks, different weight oil, different springs, etc. BUT, the TRX4 does sit pretty high with the portals, just not a lot you can do there short of changing the entire suspension system to something like a Droop setup. The dynamics would change significantly.

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
Thanks Matt. I'll see how it looks when complete, it is an experimental build and I may end up putting something different on the TRX4 and then invest in something like the VS410 pro or SCX10.

JuanValentin

Well, you would have to define what you mean when you say "ride height". If want, for example, to reduce the space between the fenders and tires for esthetics (lowering the body), you could remove the stock body mounts. In the front there are a few millimeters to drop but in the back you may have to replace the shock mounts with something lower. I also just built a TRX4 Sport and am thinking of something similar. Now if you intend to lower the the ride hight to lower the center of gravity then that is a different problem. Perhaps after market shock towers that allow you to place the shocks in a higher position. But you would be loosing shock travel.

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
Well, you would have to define what you mean when you say "ride height". If want, for example, to reduce the space between the fenders and tires for esthetics (lowering the body), you could remove the stock body mounts. In the front there are a few millimeters to drop but in the back you may have to replace the shock mounts with something lower. I also just built a TRX4 Sport and am thinking of something similar. Now if you intend to lower the the ride hight to lower the center of gravity then that is a different problem. Perhaps after market shock towers that allow you to place the shocks in a higher position. But you would be loosing shock travel.
Thanks for the reply Juanvalentin. I will look into changing the shock mount design, just to get the right look for the body. I don’t anticipate the body staying on the chassis for long as I don’t think it will hold up to any abuse :huh: :biggthumpup:

nino.

I was also trying to get it lower. Added some tubing on the shaft below the piston to limit downshock travel (droop), so now I can run less preload without the springs rattling around (stock they're a bit short when you unscrew the preload collars all the way).

This reduces travel somewhat, but I'm not into taking pictures with one wheel on a soda can anyway so it's fine for me.

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
I was also trying to get it lower. Added some tubing on the shaft below the piston to limit downshock travel (droop), so now I can run less preload without the springs rattling around (stock they're a bit short when you unscrew the preload collars all the way).

This reduces travel somewhat, but I'm not into taking pictures with one wheel on a soda can anyway so it's fine for me.
I was thinking of modifying the shocks in this way too but as I’ve never done it I didn’t know how it really effects the suspension movement. For the build I’m doing I think it will allow me to get some good pictures and video.
I will be putting on my build thread, it will show the difference for the changes I make.