Where to start (Tuber build)

P

PorkPile

After failing miserably on buliding my own aluminum plate frame WK it think it is time to start again and get some work done.

So just wondering where do you start when building a tuber. I am going to base it loosley on HaamStacks tuber that he just built. I have taken my old brusier body and hacked it up to make it a pick up style cab. should i try and build my frame around that or get the frame done and mod the body?

Any info on were to start will be helpfull...thanks guys..

m

E

ecoli

Do you know how to braze? Do you have all the supplies? If no to either, than that's where to start. If you like the bruiser body, then build around that. If you want to run a different body, buy it and then build around that one instead. Mod the body first to the dimensions you want (e.g., if you just want to keep the cab, chop off the rest and start with that and build out).

Building tubers is relatively simple, but it does take patience to make sure everything is square and your welds look good. Take your time and you should do fine.

J

Jester

Do you know how to braze? Do you have all the supplies? If no to either, than that's where to start. If you like the bruiser body, then build around that. If you want to run a different body, buy it and then build around that one instead. Mod the body first to the dimensions you want (e.g., if you just want to keep the cab, chop off the rest and start with that and build out).

Building tubers is relatively simple, but it does take patience to make sure everything is square and your welds look good. Take your time and you should do fine.

so what other tools are needed to build a tubers. I have an idea but i want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Cheers

T

Teapot

I definitely like the direction this thread is heading....I'd love to attempt a tuber...but feeling too lazy to do any digging myself for the required info.

E

ecoli

so what other tools are needed to build a tubers. I have an idea but i want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Cheers

Ok you lazy SOBs ;), here's a complete list, even with prices for some:

• 3/16" or 1/4" brakeline - about $1 per foot. For a simple tuber, you'll need about 10 feet
  • MAPP gas (in yellow canister) - about $11 per canister
  • Torch head (I use the Bernzomatic automatic adjustable head) - $60
  • Harris safety-silv 45 or 56 braze - $20-$25 per troy ounce
  • Harris brazing flux - $6 for small container
  • Sandpaper (to remove burrs and galvanized coating) - $1-$2 per sheet
  • Tubing cutter - $5
  • Tubing bender - $15 (get it at the auto store with the brakeline)
  • Dremel with chainsaw sharpening bits (for fishmouthing), cutoff bits (for cutting angles other than 90 degrees), and sanding "buffs" (finishing the tuber and removing flux) - $80-$100
  • Drill with various bits (or drill press, even better) - $50
  • Ruler, markers, painters tape - $10
  • Welding magnets - $4-$8 depending on size
  • Pliers (don't pick up hot metal with your hands!) - $10
  • Table for brazing on - free to $???
  • Safety equipment (dust mask, safety mask, gloves, earplugs) - $20
I think that's about it. Someone else feel free to add to the list. So, if you have nothing to start with, you're looking at about $250-$300. Assuming you have basic tools, but need the brazing equipment, you're still looking at over $100 for the basics of brazing. Honestly, if you're just looking for one tuber for yourself, it's probably cheaper to buy one from a vendor on rcc or eventually here (not trying to plug myself, just stating the facts).

Having said that, brazing is fun and rewarding. It's really cool to see straight brakeline turn into something that can be attached to your axles and run.

Chris

J

Jester

[*]Pliers (don't pick up hot metal with your hands!) - $10

so thats what i was doing wrong. lol
Thanks for the list, i pretty much had everything covered, just wanted to make sure, I will be pipcking up some other things now to.

thanks for the info Chris.

Cheers
Justin

C

canadianlimitededition

i ffound that just the gas alone did not give a fine point of heat or not enough for that matter. i bought a two part benzomatic torch set. it uses oxygen and the gas with a small tip, it gives a hotter flame and more pin point. it was around $100 or more. i bought it when i was making some roll cages for the MGT.

C

canadianlimitededition

parts for tuber chassis $250
supplies for tuber chassis $150
burning your fingers cause you forgot the pliers not priceless!!!!!
lol

C

canadianlimitededition

i know i am new to this sport but what the heck is "wk", "sw2".....?
can some help me here?

E

ecoli

i ffound that just the gas alone did not give a fine point of heat or not enough for that matter. i bought a two part benzomatic torch set. it uses oxygen and the gas with a small tip, it gives a hotter flame and more pin point. it was around $100 or more. i bought it when i was making some roll cages for the MGT.

An oxy set-up is a bit of overkill for tubers, and you go through oxygen too fast for it to be worthwhile, but to each their own. If you get the adjustable tip for MAPP alone, you can get a pretty fine point. Good enough for the tubers we build I say!

C

canadianlimitededition

did not know you could get an adjustable tip of the mapp gas. and yes the oxygen goes fast. i was using 1 bottle per roll cage. but it is nice to have the heat.

C

colonelangus

wk wheelie king sw2 its a bender chassis now theres an sw3 chassis.