Wraith of Headquake - Axial Wraith Build Off Entry

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
WRAITH OF HEADQUAKE

I walked into a hobby shop last Saturday just looking for a servo, a place that mostly deals in airplanes and 1/8 scale buggys, so i didn't even think they would have a Wraith sitting on the shelf. Needless to say, it came home with me.

By Saturday night i had the body panels painted black, the cage and links painted silver, added a spektrum receiver and 6000mah 2cell LiPo, and chopped the sides of the front bumper off. I do like the Ripsaw tires that comes with it, but i really don't like the look of the rims. I painted them black to try and mellow out the "bling-ness" of them and painted the fake beadlock ring silver. They are fun to use and have alot of traction in the dirt and the big size of them helps make the axles look a little less wide.

Its runs pretty fun even with the heavy battery in the back and no added weight in the tires. I kinda like the weight in the rear actually. Like others have said, the motor doesn't give too smooth of control while crawling but it still does it fine. The bit of speed it has is fun to use while climbing hills though.

Its still pretty stock but i've got some more plans for it. I'm gonna leave the plastic links and stuff until something breaks. They are a little soft and deform under stress a bit, but it doesn't hinder the performance. I kinda like the softness cause it really saves you parts. It also lets you get away with running that stock servo with out wrecking it. The servo is actually quite strong. Same strength as a hitec 645, though i've killed alot of those too, its fine with the plastic streering arm.

So these are all just the first things to be done to it. Gotta play with it as is for a while. I really need to make up a driver though. I don't like the empty seat look.

Anyhow, here's a quick pic for now.:beerchug:

build-wraith-04.jpg

Last edited:

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
Well, i took the interior out yesterday and started trying to figure out how i was going to do what i wanted to do. :noway:

First, i got the battery moved up to where the esc used to be. Alan was right, its like axial planned this to work out. For now, the esc is down on the side of the floor.

I thought it was fun before but the battery move really helps the Wraith crawl and climb. I rode the same lines in my trails with both setups, and the battery up front works way better as you probably could imagine it would.

build-wraith-05.jpg

Today, i started building my driver and a way for him to fit in there good. I'm trying to make the driver bigger scale to make the Wraith seem like a bit smaller of a buggy. I'm sitting him in the middle for now and he's gonna steer with both arms on the wheel. I'm carving him from a hard kinda balsa wood. Got the head and torso done.

I also got the dash built with a servo in place for the wheel. The dash fits between the two lower front bars, screws in, and sits on top of the trans cover. I want to keep the inside pretty open so i can change batterys easier. Its quite a pain in the stock setup. I made a floor piece type thing that screws into the floor of the bed and comes forward enough to start building the driver and seat off of. There will be more to it soon.

:beerchug:

build-wraith-08.jpg

build-wraith-06.jpg

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
HA! That's hilarious, i totally forgot we had made some rules for this build off.
Even though Kevin and i came up with the rules. :paranoid:
Luckily before i even read the last warning posts, i had decided to go back to using the seats and interior anyhow. Nice how that worked out.

I finished up the driver last night. Sewed up some little sleeves from a thin material, stuffed them with a bit of foam, glued them to the shoulders, made up some little hands for the ends, and painted him up as good as i could. The steering wheel is a big double sided servo horn with a round length of aluminum tube bent for the wheel.

After i got the interior trimmed to allow the battery up front, i managed to squish the driver into the drivers seat, screwed him in from underneath, and hooked up the wheel to the servo. I couldn't use the stock dash cause its too flimsy to support the servo so I made up a new one out of styrene and mounted it onto the same interior spot that the stock one screws into. Its also supported by the cross bar to keep it level and tight.

I decided to go without the roof so you can see the driver in action better while riding. I painted all the top bars silver and sanded off the spots where the roof screws into. I also got a little piece of lexan cut to fit in the center back spot on the body.

Still gotta build a nice interior for the bed now.

I took it out for a ride tonight and the driver looks awesome in there. Its my first two handed steering driver and its so fun to watch him go. I like how he's a little big, the left arm looks cool hanging over the side. I'm really liking these tires by the way, they are great fun in the trails.

Here's a few more pics from today. Is it all legit now? :biggthumpup:

build-wraith-09.jpg

build-wraith-12.jpg

build-wraith-11.jpg

build-wraith-10.jpg

Last edited:
D

Darkly_Crisis

it's lookin awesome dude, love the way this is going! :D

C

crawlerpawl

Wow, brand new and it already looks used and abused - wish I had your artistic flair. Have you ever thought of selling drivers? They're so much better than action figures.

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
Thanks guys.
I just wanna say that after a week of playing, this is a really fun truck. With all the scale wood builds i've been doing, i really don't have anything here that i can just ride full out and not worry about rollovers. This guys pretty fun for sure even with all the stock stuff. Axial really put some good thought into this guy.
:biggthumpup:

Finished building up a little fuel cell and toolbox in the back. They're sitting on a styrene floor i made. The sides of the floor come up and the shock screws go through it into the mounts. The floor is also screwed down in the rear. I'm going for a tough old King of Hammers looking rig, what else do they carry in the back?

build-wraith-14.jpg

build-wraith-15.jpg

I also cured some of my issues with the rims. I wanted to keep playing on these tires but don't like the look of the rims much. I'm more of an old cartoon style wheel lover. Before i went and cut the tires off the rims, i figured i'd try to cover up the stock one with something first to see how it looked. Glad i did as i really like the way these look now. Its just a thin piece of card cut round and shaped into a subtle cone, trimmed to fit nice, glued onto the spokes with the seam puttied a bit, then painted silver.

Oh, and i also cut the grill part off the hood.

Here's some pics i took today.
:beerchug:

build-wraith-16.jpg

build-wraith-17.jpg

build-wraith-18.jpg

build-wraith-19.jpg

build-wraith-20.jpg

Last edited:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Looking great man! I can't believe that after all the time we spent together today, I didn't snap a single photo. And just a few short vids. Still working on it, but I think it'll be a good one!

generis

Maybe take up knitting.
SUPER JEALOUS! I really want to be closer! What a great rig, great videos, great terrain, great folks! I'm glad I can't get my wraith for another couple weeks (it's waiting in the south) because I have so many great ideas to steal now! :biggthumpup:

H

Hillbillycrawler

SUPER JEALOUS! I really want to be closer! What a great rig, great videos, great terrain, great folks! I'm glad I can't get my wraith for another couple weeks (it's waiting in the south) because I have so many great ideas to steal now! :biggthumpup:

Agreed.by the time my wraith shows up alot of the contest builds will be about done so we can sit back and build.Great looking rig Rick.

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
Some great shots of Rick's articulating driver in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORTEbDz31tg

Thanks Matt! That was a fun time. The video looks awesome.

Wish you were closer too bud. We made a fun gang. Come again whenever you can.

Agreed.by the time my wraith shows up alot of the contest builds will be about done so we can sit back and build.Great looking rig Rick.

Thanks man. I'm sorry we're all getting these at different times and understand how it must be really testing your patience. I fluked on getting mine early. Youre gonna love it though man, really cool ride for sure.
:biggthumpup:

alan

Run spider, run!! Great stuff, guys! Nice to see the 2 trucks together.. Just caught a little 'steering-arm' at the end there!:biggthumpup:

Weapon

Those wheels look great like that, neat idea.
I wonder if there is a better way than cutting them off the rims.